Dear Mathemania Puzzle Contest 2017 participants,
Galaxy International School Uganda and Horizon International School Uganda are delighted to welcome you to Mathemania Puzzle Contest 2017. It is with excitement and great anticipation that we await the contest to serve more students every year with the aim of helping them develop some fundamental skills needed for 21st-century education.
The puzzles in Mathemania Puzzle Contest are designed around 5 basic skills that are essential for students’ success in different subject areas such as mathematics, sciences and technology. The skills include arithmetic, visual/spatial, counting, pattern finding, and logical reasoning.
You will find puzzles from the past Mathemania Puzzle contests in this booklet. We hope that this booklet will help you to understand Mathemania puzzles and practice techniques to solve them. Solving the puzzles without looking at the solutions will help you get many different skills and be ready for solving the new puzzles.
We are looking forward to hosting this grand event in 2017.
Let’s get puzzled then.
Some technical details about the Puzzle Contest are as follows:
Participants are placed at three different levels in the contest according to their class.
Primary Category Local Schools P1 – P7, International Schools Y1 – Y7
Secondary Category Local Schools S1 – S6, International Schools Y8 – Y13
The puzzles in the contest are designed around 5 skills:
- Arithmetic, where understanding of numerical skills are assessed.
- Visual/Spatial, where the visual skills are required to solve the puzzles.
- Counting, where students are required to use a systematic way to count.
- Pattern, where discovery of different level patterns is expected.
- Logical Reasoning, where students use their logical and reasoning skills to tackle the puzzles.